Friday, January 4, 2008

it's "teatime"

"teatime"
my design for theknitter's sotm club december kit

meilenweit #1334 & #1335
gauge: 8.5 sts/inch in stockinette
needles: us 1.5 (2.5mm) and us 2 (2.75 mm)

the hardest part of trying to design a mosaic stitch sock for a sock club is trying to complete a pair using just two balls of yarn. the second hardest part is finding two colors that work for the design. i started this sock over a year and a half ago with a purplish variegated yarn and black yarn as my prototype.

remember "raspberry lemonade"? well, those were the original colors judy and i had picked for this sock but the colors blended too much. yes, i had a lot of fun designing a new sock at the last minute.

"raspberry lemonade"

to make things harder on myself, i had to tweak the original pattern some more after judy sent me the new colors. here are the two socks side by side:

original design on the left/final design on the right
although i am partial to bold contrast for mosaic knits, i like the subtle colors we finally ended up using. it gives the sock a more "grown-up" feel to it, don't cha think?


5 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Wow! Those turned out beautifully! Very nice design :)

tapmouse said...

Adrienne-they are beautiful! Great work you do!

BarbaraME said...

I'm about halfway down the leg of the first sock - it's SO fun and pretty! One can never have too many blue socks... They are beautiful, as usual.

I'm hoping to get the extra yarn to you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Your socks are extraordinary!!! So much talent! DESIGN socks! Wow! I really like the colorwork in Teatime but my favorite is Zen Garden. What do I have to do to get a copy of that pattern. SO feminine! Awesome!

Laura said...

just gorgeous!
:L, laura
SiriusKnitting