i did finish a pair of mismatched socks from the hurdy-gurdy and jabberwocky. it is fun to see how the pattern looks different depending on the yarn. i like both the definite stripes and the more variegated look. now to write up the pattern before tina kills me.
i hate boring knits. show me something different and i have to try it. i may not finish it (ie, the sideways socks from january '07. all the attempts have been frogged, never to be resurrected again) but i will try it. my latest challenge has been the mitered windowpane socks, a recipe by gladys of the yarn floozies.
the mitered squares are very easy and gladys has a wonderful tutorial, full of pictures. my problem was finding my "magic" number for my yarn (wanted an even number of squares).
- i started off with some cth sockitome in blueberry hill, my addis 2.5mm, and 13 stitch squares: 8 squares too small, 10 squares too big.
- same yarn, knitpicks 2.5mm, 11 stitch squares: 10 squares too small.
- same yarn, addis 2.5mm 11 stitch squares: decide i don't like the color because there is not enough variation.
- new yarn: cth supersock in river run, addis 2.5mm, 13 sts squares: same as first attempt.
- supersock, knitpicks 2.5mm, 13 stitch squares: 10 squares is perfect. did two tiers with miters facing the same direction. didn't like them facing the same direction.
- supersock, knitpicks 2.5mm, 13 stitch squares, 10 squares, alternating directions: FINALLY!
i don't know if it is just me, but i find that i knit to a smaller gauge with my knitpicks 2.5mm as opposed to my addis 2.5mm. i measured both and the knitpicks seem just a little bit thinner. anyone else notice this?! or am i weird all by myself? (and no, debi, don't go there!)
we still have a few more spaces open for the carefree holiday (or not) kal. here's a chance to win some yarn just for knitting and you might even get a few of your holiday gifts out of the way. we cap at 100 people so if you are interested, please go on over and sign up. the kal ends november 30th.
so, about that contest to celebrate my belated 100th post! i may be convinced to dig into my stash of socks that rock to find a nice prize there. let me think (which can be very dangerous!). leave me a comment on this post about a project that you find intriguing or a project that you really want to knit. i would love a link! as you know, i am a sucker for brownie points. so, extra entry for posting about my contest on your blog (again, leave a comment on here) and extra entries for you if someone says you sent them over.
deadline for drawing is whenever i get up on tuesday, october 14th. that gives you a week! let the game begin!
edited to help those who can't think of anything intriguing. grin!